Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fate

The theme for this week on my other blog was "Fate." This is a version of the poem I wrote for it originally, but it wasn't coming together in time. I posted a different poem over at Glints and just finished this one today.


***
Anniversary

My daughter calls one night. I am smoking in the kitchen.
Her father puts in a new garden.
Before I can thank her for the card she sent
for our 30th anniversary,
she tells me, breathlessly, I think I'm falling in love.
She doesn't remember--she has called before saying the same thing.
I do not remind her. I listen. Ask the questions she wants me to ask.
I smoke. Make approving noises.
Say it's a nice time of year to be young and in love.
I roll my eyes at her father when he comes in to wash his hands.
He takes the phone, lights a cigarette of his own,
shakes his head at her exuberance.
He says he's happy for her, keeping the doubt from his voice.
We both know it will be enough to tell her, in a few weeks,
that love is never easy. And if it ever seems too simple,
one of you is lying.

No comments:

Post a Comment