Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thirst

My very dear friend Lauren and I are in the process of putting together a joint blog. We're taking turns proposing a theme for the week. She writes a non-fiction response to it, I write a poem, and we'll post them together.

However, while we're thinking up a title/designing said blog, we're posting separately. You can find her excellent reflection on this week's theme "Thirst" here. Mine is below, based on the 4th Chapter of John's Gospel.

Thirst
John 4:6-7

He surprised me when we met
by asking only for a drink of water.
There were no catcalls, no surreptitious touches.
He did not laugh with his friends while I pretended not to hear.
He just wanted a drink of water.
As I drew it, he told me that I looked tired--
that it must have been difficult to be always fetching and carrying.
Before I knew it, I was telling him everything.
From the rudeness of men to the cruelty of women.
When I was afraid I might begin to cry, he touched my hand.
"It doesn't matter." He said, and I believed him.
Until then I had never realized I was lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment