Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Monday, January 25, 2010

The End of the Affair

The End of the Affair
(draft)

I left a box of things at Susan's for you. I accidentally packed them when I left last Saturday. A few things I took out of spite and now want to return because I feel childish. Little things, mostly. The picture of you, backpacking, your hair tucked away under a bandanna. My key and this month's rent. Your sister's glasses, the ones she left the night I drank too much wine and told you I was in love with you. Your Rufus Wainwright CDs and season five of The Wire. I watched the series finale and it was every bit as good as you said. Some socks and underwear and that favorite tie of yours. The one that matches my polka dot party dress. The dress I wore when we slow danced at Mark's wedding and everyone asked each other if we were next. Some bigger things. Your grandmother's ring, the one you told me keep, your credit card, and the dog's leash and dogfood. Hopefully enough to last until I find something new. Oh, and that Graham Greene novel you always wanted me to read. I finally did. It was all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment