Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Words, words, words

As a recovering English major I'm often expected to be a kind of pseudo-expert when it comes to grammar. Those who are actually familiar with my writing (or who have read this blog's title) know that I'm not. I hate grammar. I do. I hate it. I can't tell you what a gerund is, can't diagram a sentence, am an awful speller, and have never used a semi-colon correctly.

That said, there's another recovering-English-major trait (or, I suppose, lover of the English language trait) to which I subscribe in its entirety. I make long lists of words I love and hate.

The lists below are by no means exhaustive. Simply a way to get started blogging (one of the hated words) again.

Words I Love:
(Or: Words I Love and Never Have an Opportunity to Use)
Apropos
Incorporeal
Pedantic
Bamboozled
Juggernaut
Bombastic
Rhetoric
Chaotic
Penchant
Eschaton
Transcendental
Tangential
Misanthrope/Misanthropic
Vacillate
Oscillate
Equivocate
Voracious
Undulate
Vilify

Words I Hate:
Squinch
Squelch
Ketchup/Catsup
Panties
Lube
Pork Loin
Loin
Comps
Blog/Blogger/Blogging
Bowels
Dredges

4 comments:

  1. As passionate about embodiment as you are, I find it interesting how transcendental your loved words are and how embodied your hated words are.

    Hmmm.

    I'll have to ponder my lists. Will get back to you on them. Two words I do hate though: Squishy; Crusty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ketchup has nothing to do with embodiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. False! Ketchup is a food (okay...a condiment). We eat because we have to in order to live *in our bodies.*

    Ergo, ketchup has to do with embodiment.

    Boom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panties is a creepy word. I hate it too!

    Jenny Senden

    ReplyDelete