Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Monday, November 12, 2007

I've fallen out of love with you

My life's gotten simple since.
And it fluctuates so much.
Happy and sad and back again.
I'm not crying out to much.
-Ryan Adams "Dear Chicago"

I have a strange habit of becoming mildly obsessed with certain things. Occasionally there's a poem or a song that gets under my skin and usually ends up on repeat or reread approx. a thousand times until something else comes along.

Ryan Adams has been a recent obsession, and the song "Dear Chicago" in particular. I'm not sure what it is about the song, but it kills me. I can tell it's one of the songs that if I'm ever lucky enough to hear it live, I'll probably start bawling my eyes out. (Much like Damien Rice's "Delicate" reduced me to a puddle when I heard it.)

As a poet, one of the biggest things that attracts me to certain singers is their lyrics. That's part of the reason I love this song so much. The lyrics are so loaded full of incredibleness that I feel like I can't contain myself while I'm listening to it. I love the conflict in the lines and the idea of not being able to pick an emotion or reaction. The lyrics just feel so full of legitimate loss and ache that it makes my heart hurt and want to explode at the same time.

All right, I'll lay off of the babbling about Dear Chicago. Do yourself a favor and go listen to it. Think of me when you do.

I think the thing you said is true.
I'm going to die alone and sad.
-Ryan Adams "Dear Chicago"

1 comment:

  1. Let's all take a moment to thank Ryan for lyricizing the confusion that emotions can be. And then listen some more and put some Whiskeytown on top and then maybe drink some whisky. I'll trade you some of my Jameson for some of yours.

    Miss you.
    Remember, explode all you want in all of the ways you want, but do it safely.

    See you on the mountain,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete