Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Tidy


A year ago I was the happiest I had ever been. I was looking forward to our third anniversary as a couple and our first wedding anniversary. I was as in love as I was the first weeks we were together.

Half a year ago, the husband and I were working on some stuff. Maybe our first year together hadn’t been perfect, but I had never expected it to be. We were two people who were used to being independent, and it takes awhile to get used to a major life change. And none of that mattered, because we had the rest of our lives together to get it right.

(I now see where this is going, too)

Two months ago my husband asked me for a divorce.

My break-ups always followed more or less the same format: bourbon, sad music, crying, bitching, and about two weeks later moving on. It’s worked for every break-up from my high school boyfriend (minus the bourbon) to finding out my ex asked another woman to marry him while we were still together. I sympathized with friends going through wrenching splits, but always assumed that I was impervious. I was resilient. I had the perfect formula.

Yeah, no.

I thought I knew how to handle a break-up.

* * *
I’m standing in the kitchen of my apartment, washing the dishes and sobbing so loudly I’m certain my neighbors can hear me. It’s not the first time it’s happened in recent weeks, but it’s a new set of neighbors and I feel like I should give a damn.

I feel like I should. I don’t

I just keep washing the dishes and crying. When the dishes are done, I move onto dusting and crying. And on to sweeping and crying. And on to alphabetizing the spice rack and crying. I keep up with the doing-chores-and-crying thing until it’s time for-going-to-bed-and-crying. I don’t pour myself a drink. I don’t put on The Cure. I don’t call anyone to bitch.

I cry.

I do things that feel like forward motion.

I thought I knew how to handle moving on.

* * *
The truth is that any real grieving I’ve done has been decades ago, when childhood or the simple self-absorption of my 20s was enough to take the edge off. Sure, I’ve split with people since then, but I haven’t lost someone.

So I go into heavy-research mode. I read everything I can get my hands on about psychology and divorce and grief. I talk to my friends who have gone through the same thing about what to expect. I strategize with my therapist about empowerment. I mark days on the calendar and congratulate myself when I get to the point where grief turns a magical corner and you stop crying in public.

I cry on the bus the same day.

I start to track my moods on a daily basis. I see my friends. I throw myself into triathlon training and meditation. I go for long hikes. I switch to a primarily plant-based diet. I start practicing lock-picking and knot-tying. I get serious about paying off consumer debt and saving for a house.

I cry while having dinner with my best friend.

I make one-year, five-year, and ten-year plans—I’ve never had a problem that couldn’t be addressed by a good five-year plan! I wait for that moment of insight that’s part of every public radio piece—the moment when I realize this is when I’ll become a mountain-climber, write the Great American Novel, take a trip to Tibet and become the next incarnation of the Dalai Lama.

I cry in my one-to-one meeting with my boss.

I thought I knew how to handle grief.

* * *
A year ago I was the happiest I’d ever been.

I’d never met a problem I couldn’t fix. I’d throw hours of intense study, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and a good diet at my life. It wasn’t always perfect, but I had a lot of confidence life could at least be tidily organized.

My life has suddenly been dumped out of its neat boxes and I don’t even know how to start organizing. I want, so badly, to be able to fix this, to find a way to clean up this mess. Beyond the messiness of my marriage ending (and ohboy, is that a mess), everything I’ve relied on for years—exercise and a support system and research-backed therapy—isn’t helping me put anything back where it’s supposed to be. There’s no faster tri time, no Great American Novel, no spiritual insight.

I thought I knew how to handle a break-up, how to handle moving on, how to handle grief.

Turns out I don’t know a goddamn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment