Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

It's Complicated

It’s a request for new music that brings people out of the woodwork.

My husband was never interested in music. No, it was more than that. I don’t think he actually liked music. He would buy tracks here and there that he had heard in movies or television or video games, but he rarely bought whole albums and I wasn't supposed to listen to music in the house without headphones because it was too stimulating.

I am somewhat on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I take opportunities to see shows live whenever I can. Big, expensive shows at arenas, tiny jazz shows in clubs that you could barely move around in, someone’s aunt’s second-cousin’s cover band at a bar in the suburbs. I have playlists curated by mood, by activity, by person. I took hours to make the husband a playlist that introduced him to all of my favorite bands and tried to tell him how I felt about him. Very high school, I know, but it meant something to me.

He never listened to it.

For weeks after he moved out I couldn’t listen to anything. I was raw enough that any music just hurt. After I moved out of our apartment and took a deep breath and realized this is actually happening I plugged in my headphones and turned on some old favorites.

I couldn’t listen to them. Any of them.

I wasn't stupid. I avoided all the Motown we used for dance parties. I didn’t touch any of the pop songs we played at our wedding. I skipped tracks that were happy or about falling for someone.

It didn’t help.

When I turned on For Emma, Forever Ago all I could think about was how much he hated Bon Iver and would ask me to turn it off. Robyn’s Body Talk was playing the last time we had an argument about one of the big things going wrong in our marriage. Even the Miles Davis and John Coltrane I used to listen to when I was falling asleep reminded me of meeting him and falling in love. There was no catharsis in any of it.

I did what any reasonable person would do. I asked my social media channels for recommendations, saying that a lot of music I loved was now associated with my ex and I needed something new.

That word. Ex. It blew up my entire life. Again.

I haven’t been HEY WORLD I’M GETTING A DIVORCE, but I haven’t exactly been silent about it either. I changed my last name. I posted about getting a new apartment, about moving, about living alone, for Christ’s sake. I’ve wrote and posted about sadness and heartbreak as it was happening.

But as soon as I posted the word ex the entire world messages me.

* * *
I was unprepared for a lot of things about getting divorced: the sudden, intense return of my sex drive, the discovery that I don’t know how to make friends aside from awkwardly blurting out “You’re cool and I want to be friends with you,” the return of surprise, awful panic attacks all catch me unaware.

What I am most unprepared for is the people who want me to perform my grief for them.

People I haven’t spoken to in decades are suddenly calling, texting, messaging with versions of the same thing. “OhhhhhhhhmyyyyyGawwwwwwwwwwwwd. I’m so sorry! What happened?”

There are people I am genuinely glad to hear from. I get a card from an old roommate saying she’s thinking about me and hopes the next year will be better for me. A friend I haven’t seen in months comes over and watches Peaky Blinders with me so I don’t have to be alone. Another person who generally isn’t into being physically affectionate holds my hand and lets me sit with my head on her shoulder for awhile because she knows how alone I feel.

The people I’m glad to hear from are the ones who don’t ask anything of me. They don’t offer lame “I’m here to help if you need it.” They bring food when they notice I’ve lost 10 pounds in two weeks. They drag me out of the house to go walk and pet their dogs. They hand over their babies for me snuggle while they unpack my boxes. They don’t ask for details about what happened.

I am amazed by the number of people who do ask for details, or who offer their own opinions about what happened. Oh, was your anxiety too much for him? Did you catch him with someone else? Did a demon secretly take over his soul during a failed exorcism and now you have to return to the faith of your youth to escape?

What I want to say is that I was trained by Ra’s al Ghul to secretly infiltrate a gang of 40-something male Trekkies. My goal was to seduce and destroy them one by one, but I realized that the poison given to me by the League of Assassins turned out to be a sugar pill, a ploy for a larger conspiracy which I wanted no part of. Now I sharpen my blade and wait for death to come.

Instead I tell them what I tell everyone.

“It’s complicated.”

* * *
Grief is so personal and complicated and I want, so much, to talk about it. I want to tell someone about how waiting for my divorce papers induced a panic attack, how getting coffee with my ex-in-laws felt like a birthday party and a funeral all at once, how I met a man recently who made a bell in my chest ring. I need to talk about how I still don’t understand why my husband doesn’t love me anymore and how I’m getting to a point where I don’t need to understand.

This is not the grief people want.

They want me to go through motions, to perform grief that will give them some sort of catharsis. They want to hear something horrible about one or both of us so they can say “That could never happen in my marriage.” They want me to set his things on fire or tell them that I can’t live another day if we don’t reconcile. That kind of a narrative is reassuring.

And that narrative isn't true. At least, it’s not always true.

I have days where I feel great.

I wake up and get dressed and feel beautiful. I go to work and feel happy and fulfilled and like I’m making a real difference in the world. I spend time with friends talking about comics or music or the role of coded eroticism in 19th century novels and I feel funny and smart and interesting. I feel like I might be romantically valuable to someone else. Of course I am! People I love have shown me many times.

I have days where I feel like a piece of garbage someone has thrown away.

I wake up and get dressed and feel dumpy. I go to work and write shitty first drafts all day. I spend time watching trash television just so I don’t have to think about what a disgusting pile of crap I am. I feel like I’ll never be romantically valuable to someone else. How could I be? Someone I loved already showed me I’m not.

There’s no catharsis in any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment