Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Squishy

Tonight, I found myself standing in the back of A Fine Grind in St. Paul emitting noises I'm sure only dogs could hear and squeezing my best friend so hard I was afraid I might crack her ribs.


As previously mentioned, my two dearest friends and my soul mate all left for various abroad adventures between the beginning of August and the end of September last year. Naturally, this had made my post-college transition harder than I had anticipated.


Michelle's return to the U.S. signals another, most welcome change.


We spent a few hours tonight munching on chow mein and swallowing chai while catching up on our romantic (mis)adventures. I laughed, had my jaw nearly hit the floor, made a variety of sympathetic noises, and rolled my eyes more than I have in months. As all of our other close friends from WI become parts of couples, it's good to have this one relationship we don't have to plan around a spouse or a child. Both of these are, of course, welcome additions to a tightly knit circle, but it's good to have someone else who can't commit to a stylist, let alone a significant other. It's also good to have someone else's (albeit, "straight up broken") compass to help you guide your own life.


I had forgotten how much I missed this relationship. Having someone who understands your neuroses as well as she understands her own is the greatest blessing I could ever hope to have.









Well, darlin', Here's to nine years of friendship, PBDs, jaw-dropping revelations, NSync sing-a-longs, transatlantic late-night dials, mermaids, and inappropriate comments. I'm glad you're home.

No comments:

Post a Comment