Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

subconscious

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion
-Waking Life

I think my subconscious takes 'shrooms.

As previously mentioned, my nights are unusually eventful. I'm either talking in my sleep, having nightmares I can't wake up from, or dreaming dreams I can't differentiate from reality upon waking.

That said, my nocturnal wanderings have taken on a new twist. I've had a series of particularly vivid dreams that feature a friend of Grace's with whom I have absolutely no connection. We may or may not have had a class together at some point, but I don't think that's true and I'm 100% positive we've never actually been introduced. I've told Maggie about both of the dreams, and she seems to think I'm half cracked.

"Well. Maybe you're secretly in love with him."
"Unlikely. We've never actually met."
"You are the creepiest person I have ever met. You're dreaming about someone you've never met?"
"Well, yes. They're not anything to be ashamed of. He's just in them. Once he yelled at me. Once he slept in a hayloft. This could be awkward if we ever actually do meet. I'll probably introduce myself saying 'Hi! I've been dreaming about you for the past six months. Uhhhh. '"
"You really are going to die alone and be consumed by feral cats."
"At least I can die having fulfilled my dream of spinsterhood."

I'm less worried about the creepiness factor of the dreams and more interested in why this gentleman seems to have become a recurring character in my REM cycle when most of my dreams are about work or or can-can dancers (I can't explain it.) My subconscious obviously thinks there's some important link between this random guy and something happening in my life currently. I can't see the link between my (REM cycle) gentleman caller and my waking life.

For the time being, I guess I'll wait and see where we end up. And hope that if we ever do meet, I'll have the self-restraint to avoid telling him he's the man of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment