Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Saturday, February 2, 2008

I just sent the following text message to Mags:

Darcy and Eliz. are engaged. Pfffft. True love does exist. I'm so happy I could die.

No, Darcy and Eliz are not particular friends of mine. I just finished watching six hours of Pride and Prejudice. My heart hurts.

I've never been one for typcially "romantic" movies. Most of the time I think they're contrived--as one of my favorite English professors once shouted: "Come on, you guys! It's like dumping Lithium on your ice cream!" But Austen's book is so far beyond a happy ending I can't help but love it.

One of the reasons I adore the book so much is because of Austen's snappy dialouge. Elizabeth is pragmatic, almost to a fault, but doesn't let that get in the way of setting loose some zingers. Her wit is incisive and fantastic. Her exchange with Darcy when he first proposes marriage is one of my favorite passages in literature ever.

I love Darcy because, well, he's arrogant and emotionally unavailable, and apparently that's my M.O. Throw in the the fact that he's as quick as Elizabeth and the two of them are perfect verbal sparring partners and pffffffft.

In case you didn't know the "pffffft" noise is my heart exploding.

All right. Enough. I'm so incredibly content with life right now that it's unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment