Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Some Conversations With Women II

"That's not that young."

"It is when I'm trying to date someone between 35 and 40!"

I suck in a quick breath through my teeth. "Oh, yeah. In that context, he's just a baby! What were you thinking?"

"That he was a super cute 24 year old and that I wanted to make out with someone."

We dissolve into laughter.

***

"What do I do?"

I'm sitting on the tiled floor of a not-quite-public, not-quite-private bathroom, texting my best friend and waiting the longest three minutes of my life.

"Well, you can make an appointment. I'll take the day off of work and take you."

"I honestly have never loved you more than this I do in this moment."

"I know."

"Three minutes is a long time."

"I know."

"Do I say anything? I mean, if it is . . ."

"I wouldn't. But you probably would."

"Fuck."

"I know."

We wait.

***

"I mean, I'm settled now, but there's no way I would ever date a guy under the age of 35 again."

"Do you really think it makes that much of a difference?"

"Yeah."

"What is it?"

"Well, the sex."

"Yes of course the sex, but is there anything beyond?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"It's cliched."

"What is it?"

I pause. 

"You know how guys in their 20s don't know what they want?"

"Yup."

"Guys in their early 30s know what they want, but if it's not you they don't mind using you as training wheels for their next relationship."

We sit quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment