Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Long Expected Journey

The introduction to what will be a semi-regular series of posts called "So Say We All: The Trials Endured by Lady Nerds."

I was eighteen and a high school student when The Matrix Reloaded was released. My parents were disinclined to let me attend the midnight premiere, so I went immediately after school the next day. The friends with whom I was supposed to see the movie were all taking the Advanced Placement Economics test, so it fell to my friend Patrick and me to hold our places in line outside the Ultra Screen.

We queued up with our books and folding chairs, prepared to wait out the few hours before the movie. We talked and read, occasionally played cards, and it was some time before I noticed the guys in front of us, watching the first Matrix on their Mac. Truthfully, I wouldn’t have noticed them except for Patrick’s obvious snickering. My eyes flickered between my book and the guys until I noticed that they were staring at us, making it disturbingly obvious. It was a few minutes before my temper flared.

“Hey,” I said loudly, “take a fucking picture. It’ll last longer.”

The guys blushed, turned the volume up on their computer, and went back to watching the movie. At this point, Patrick’s snickering had become full-blown laughter and I turned on him.

“And what’s up with you?”

“Nothing,” he snorted.

“Then what the hell was the matter with them?”

He buried his head in his hands for a minute and laughed so hard he shook. “Honey, you’re the only girl in the whole damn line.”

Things haven’t changed much in the past ten years. I attend midnight premieres of movies now, and sometimes I go in costume. Over the past ten years my nerd cred has significantly increased. I throw a party every year to celebrate the new season of Doctor Who. I’ve had long arguments about Kirk versus Picard. I own a first-edition Tolkein. I’ve read every published word Neil Gaiman has written. I collect comics and bawled my eyes out during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

For years I’ve watched nerds everywhere misrepresented in the media, in pop culture, and by other nerds. I’ve seen reporters interview cosplayers and comic collectors, shake their heads as they take notes, and mutter “freaks” as they walk away. I’ve stood in line for a movie or a book-signing and watched as the local news anchor grabs her cameraman and pulls him past me, standing there in a dress and heels, amiably chatting with the people around me, and zero in on the pale, pimply guys playing Magic. When this happens, I can feel the nerds around me tense up with irritation. But instead of walking up to her, we all grind our teeth and vent to one another. If someone is really pissed off, they might whip out their smartphone and blow up on Twitter, but that’s about it.  

Those instances always leave my stomach upset because I know those pimply guys are who my friends and family see on the evening news. Those guys keep my mother up at night because she’s afraid that I may bring one of them home to Christmas and he’ll spend the entire weekend regaling us with lectures on quantum mechanics (which I would find awesome) or in the corner fearfully quaking at the unbridled masculinity of the men in my family. When a reporter corners one of these nerd stereotypes, I can hear the following day’s conversation with my mother:

“Honey, don’t you think you would be happier if you, I don’t know, spent your time a little more normally?”

“What do you mean?”

I can hear her sigh and pull a mentholated cigarette out of her pack.

“I mean if you gave up all these costumes and comic books, and, well . . . dorky stuff, honey.” She drags on her cigarette. “I mean, I just want you to be happy. You seem so normal most of the time. I just don’t understand this.”

Mom’s opinion pretty much sums up that of the friends I’ve made outside of marathon LAN parties and Catan tournaments. They’re the people who know a literature and scotch snob with a high-pressure, intensely social job and they have a hard time reconciling her with the lady who regularly makes Star Wars jokes. They’re baffled by many of my hobbies, and I don’t blame them. The attraction of the nerd world escapes them, and if I’m honest, sometimes when I’m the only woman standing in the comic book shop around the block from my office, it puzzles me too.

Being a lady nerd is tricky. It often feels like I’m entering a foreign country on a soon-to-expire visa. A friend and I recently attended a presentation on Minecraft. We really enjoyed ourselves and learned a lot about the game and the draw to it. At the end of the presentation, there were door prizes. We won the award for “Looks Most Like They Don’t Belong Here.” I was wearing a dress and knee high boots. She had on a sweater and jeans. It was an odd moment, and one that took me back to the line for The Matrix Reloaded

Ten years later, I’m not the only girl in the room, but I’m certainly one of a very few. But, while my visa may be somewhat dubious, it allows me access all the same. I hope to be a Virgil to those of you unfamiliar with the realm of extreme nerdiness. Simultaneously, I’d like to be Dante, asking questions and trying to cultivate a deeper understanding of this world and my place in it.

Engage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment