Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In Praise of Sleeping Alone


In Praise of Sleeping Alone

Everyone talks about sharing a bed
as if it were the greatest thing for sleep
since the invention of the down comforter.
I prefer sleeping alone,
stretching out diagonally on my firm,
but not too firm mattress.
Wrapping myself in a cocoon
of all the blankets on the bed
only to kick them to the floor
in the middle of the night.
I delight in pajamas that are comfortable,
utilitarian, and utterly uninviting.
I boldly leave the bedside lamp burning
until three or four in the morning
when I'm reading a new detective novel
gloriously unburdened by care for another's rest.
Even on the nights when I rise
plagued by nightmares or common anxiety
I do not wish for the calm, steady breath of another
or his warm sturdy presence under the quilt next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment