Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Addicted to You

I have a problem.

Last night I went to the St. Joseph the Worker Fundraiser. I managed to arrive in time for the "fill a paper bag with second-hand books for four dollars!" part of the evening.

Uh-oh. In the twenty-four hours previous I had been strongly encouraged to apply for a MA in systematics for the fall of '08. An hour previous I had a lovely dinner and drinks with two long-lost friends. Now I was suddenly offered the chance to go crazy with second hand books for the the rock-bottom price of four dollars. AND I could tell myself that I was really supporting a volunteer program in The Cities. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty wonderful.

Forty some odd books and two ripped paper bags later, I found myself trying to categorize my purchases. I had one truly phenomenal find, some good finds, and some books I thought others would love. The books all fall in to one of four categories.

1. Theology (sub categories will be noted)
4: Literary Theory/Non-Fiction
5. Fiction/Drama
6. Books purchased for others

Because I think that bookshelves are a pretty good indication of how well you can get along with another person (and because I have a sick, sick obsession with making lists), I thought it might be interesting to share the new additions to my already over-stocked shelves.

Enjoy this little look into my Psyche.

Theology (Spirituality)
C.S. Lewis A Grief Observed
Henri Nouwen: Can You Drink The Cup?
Joan Chittister, OSB: Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of Benedict Today
Henri Nouwen: The Inner Voice of Love: A Journey Through Anguish to Freedom

Theology (Biblical Studies)
Synopsis of the Four Gospels
Jerome Biblical Commentary
Literary Interpretations of Biblical Narratives Vol II

Theology (Liberation, also including Sex & Gender)
Helen M. Luke: Women, Earth, and Spirit: The Feminine in Symbol and Myth
Richard A. Norris, Jr. (ed): The Christological Controversy
William G Rusch (ed): The Trinitarian Controversy
Robert Blair Kaiser: The Politics of Sex and Religion
Human Sexuality: New Directions in American Catholic Thought
Karen Kennelly, C.S.J. (ed): American Catholic Women: A Historical Exploration
Gustavo Gutierrez: We Drink From Our Own Wells: The Spiritual Journey of a People
Gustavo Gutierrez: A Theology of Liberation

Lit Theory/Non-Fiction
Fredrick Engels: The Condition of the Working Class in England
Susan Brownmiller: Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape
Henry David Thoreau: Walden and Civil Disobedience
Kitty Ferguson: Stephen Hawking: Quest for a Theory of Everything
Barbara Ehrenreich: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Richard L. McGuire: Passionate Attention: An Introduction to Literary Study
Arundhati Roy: War Talk
New French Feminisms: Writings by Simone de Beauvoir, Helen Cixous, Annie Leclerc, and others
Stanley Fish: Is There a Text in This Class? The Authority of Interpretive Communities

Fiction/Drama
Vergil: The Aeneid
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Antoine de Saint Exupery: The Little Prince
Yann Martel: The Life of Pi
Jane Austen: Persuasion
Madeline L'Engle: A Live Coal In The Sea
Toni Morrison: Love
John Steinbeck: The Pearl; The Red Pony
Jack Kerouac: The Subterraneans
Six Great Modern Short Novels (The Dead: Joyce; Billy Budd: Melville; Noon Wine: Porter; The Overcoat: Gogol; The Pilgrim Hawk: Wescott; The Bear: Faulkner)
Hannah Green: I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
Carl Sandberg: The Fiery Trial
Alice Walker: The Temple of My Familiar
Lorraine Hansberry: A Raisin in the Sun
Shakespeare: The Taming of the Shrew

Books for Others
Bob and Jenna Torres: Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World (For Krista's roommate, Katy)
Steven Spielberg: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I actually have no idea how this ended up in my bag)
Lee Iacocca: Where Have All the Leaders Gone? (Father Prosen cannot stop talking about how much he wants to read this book)

No comments:

Post a Comment