Make Good Art.

-Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Black Hole

I'm in my early twenties, sitting in my Literary Criticism class with one of my favorite professors. I've spent the first part of the class discussing Kate Millet's Sexual Politics. I'm pretty fired up, as I always am when we're discussing gender, sex, politics, and writing. Somehow the conversation takes a turn toward the movie The Notebook, which another student recently recommended (idiotically) to our feminist firecracker of a professor. When we start discussing the movie, the professor gets really wound up and eventually shouts, SHOUTS at us:
"Come on you guys! This is like dumping laudanum on your ice cream!"
The class dissolves into silence and then raucous laughter. Everyone picks up their pens and scribbles the quote down in the margins of their texts. We collect ourselves and resume the thread of the conversation.

I've never forgotten that professor's description of romantic comedies, partly because it's hilarious and partly because it's so apt.

***
"So, what does Mr. Right look like?" 

My therapist and I have been talking at length about loneliness and isolation before she asks the question. I, still incapable of not being a smartass, answer:

"Ryan Gosling." 

We sit quietly for a minute and she rolls her eyes at me, which is my cue to stop being flippant. 

"Smart. Preferably a little smarter than I am or smarter in a different way so I don't get lazy. Well-read." I pause. "Articulate and equally ambitious. Funny and interested in science-fiction and board games and going for walks after dinner."

We talk a little more about what I expect out of my romantic partners and whether or not I'll be able to find someone in a city as small as the one I'm living in currently (short answer, no.) We finish our session and I put in my headphones and turn up my coat collar for the walk home. 

As I'm walking I think about what I held back in that session. After all, it wouldn't be me unless I refused to disclose some tiny part of what I was thinking. In this case it was that I want the proverbial laudanum my ice cream.

Not all of me and not all the time. Most of the time, I want exactly what I told my therapist I want: an intellectually stimulating, emotionally and sexually satisfying man in my life. Who likes jazz. And science-fiction. But there's this tiny part of me, a part that often goes unacknowledged, who wants to be carried away. 

Let's be honest, that Kelly is kind of a dope. Inclined to pop-sentimentality and gooey love songs, romance novels and daydreaming, she's a real drag to be around. She starts nattering on about surprise trips to Paris with her hypothetical boyfriend. She sighs, audibly, during parts of Pride and Prejudice she's seen/read so many times she can recite them from memory. 

Thankfully, that Kelly doesn't have a whole lot of resiliency. She can usually be dealt with by putting on a Bessie Smith album. 

***
I feel like I'm letting the home team down lately. 

After a lot of hard work, my career feels like it's finally going in the direction I want. I have incredible friends. My OCD is slowly coming under control. I've discovered in the past few months that I'm a pretty tough person. I have all of these things heading in exactly the direction I want them to be heading. I'm really proud of the challenges I've faced, the risks I've taken, the things I've achieved.  By all accounts I should be happy. 

No, it's not that I'm unhappy. I'm . . . wistful, maybe. A little too inclined to go back and read old love letters and think about what old boyfriends are doing now. A little too teary at weddings. Feeling a touch too much like I want to watch Bridget Jones's Diary

It's the wistfulness that I find troubling, the fact that I feel like something is missing from my life because ohmygodhowfuckingclichedcanyouget? I might as well put on a pair of yoga pants and eat an entire pint of ice cream. Covered in laudanum. 

It's my hangup, of course. But from the conversations I've had, it seems like it's the hangup a lot of smart, successful, single women have. It's as though we've all acknowledged that we're bright, capable, for-the-most-part together ladies and that's what we project to our families, friends, coworkers, whomever. And that's great, because that's who we are. Yet at the same time, we all seem to have made the decision that the bright, capable, for-the-most-part together ladies are the only aspects of ourselves we're allowed to show the world. Ever. We've bought into the bullshit that in order to be successful and respected we can't expose these small parts of ourselves that need to be loved and cared for to other people. Because the second you say "Yes, I'd like to be dating someone" or "Yes, living alone can be really lonely" what you're really saying, or what people perceive you as saying is "Oh my God. I need a boyfriend six weeks ago and I'm going to settle for the first guy who comes along because I'm lonely and desperate for companionship." 

Suddenly, instead of being the woman who's single by choice or inclination you're the friend who's single because she's a huge swirling vortex of neediness. A relationship black hole and any guy who gets too close is going to experience emotional and mental spaghettification. 

This, of course, isn't the reality. Or rather, it's not the reality of who all of us are as people. It's the reality that's been put forth in those laudanum-on-your-ice cream movies. And while none  few of the women I know who admit to occasionally feeling lonely or isolated or who just want to be dating someone are actually at emotional black hole, I think we all fear being perceived as it.

 As a side note, I wonder if men feel the same way, or if this is just the gift that entertainment has given women.

Back to my point. It's this emotional clusterfuck that has me feeling like I'm letting down the feminist side of things. The part of me that wants to be swept up, swept away, the part of me that was raised on princess movies and who still reads romance novels is slowly becoming more resilient, less inclined to be silenced by a blues record. That Kelly is not a bad person. Sure, she's a little dopey, a little dreamy, but she's also a hell of a lot more sincere and less jaded and less angry. There's nothing anti-feminist about wanting to fall in love in that breath-taking, heart-stopping, annoying way in which I like to fall in love. Just like there's nothing inherently feminist in listening to Graveyard Blues.

Pass the ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment